Help and support

Can I keep my existing mobile number when I switch to you?

Absolutely. We'll just need your Port Authorisation Code – or PAC for short  – so we can transfer your number for you. But don’t worry, it’s really quick and easy to get this from your current network provider. You can:

  • Text ‘PAC’ to 65075 for free

  • Request one through your online account with your current provider

  • Call your current provider to get the PAC

Your PAC code will be nine characters long – three letters and six numbers. Simply give it to us when you sign up and we'll transfer your number for you. To find out more, check out the section ‘What happens when I switch my mobile to UW?’.

If you're an existing UW customer, you can give us your mobile number and PAC within your

in the Mobile section.

If you're a new customer and you have been given your account number, you can

for an online UW account then submit your PAC in the mobile section.

Was this article helpful?

Still need help?